Sunday 24 June 2012

The Bang Song (sight words)

Several years ago an online friend named Lori introduced me to "The Popcorn Song."    It is sung to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and is the best invention yet to help kids learn their sight words.  Since learning about the song, and sharing it at a kindergarten meeting way back when, many teachers in our board use this and all see the success! 
Every morning we sing this song in fun ways, and throughout the day, children are excited to see a popcorn word in shared writing, in a story book, on the smart board, or hidden inside a big word!  I LOVED the popcorn song SO much but wanted to expand upon it and use music to help my little ones learn ALL of the pre-primer Dolch words.

About five years ago, I came up with a NEW song that would help my students do just that.  I included in it a FEW of the words from the popcorn song, but wanted to make sure that every word from the list was there.  I tried to make it catchy, and used rhyming words to help with the flow.  We sing this song to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

Here it is!  Please feel free to share, but PLEASE link back to my post here as I'm new to this blog thing and would like to get some followers!  Thanks so much!



Click here for a printable version to make your own Bang Song!


Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment